The Montenegro CBI (citizenship by investment) program is the cheapest way to get second citizenship in Europe. Plus, it is among the most affordable ones worldwide.
As an EU-candidate, Montenegro hopes to officially join the EU and Schengen area in 2025.
This week, discover the wild beauty and “hidden jewel” by the Adriatic Sea. Immigration Explorer, your passport immigration & citizenship agency, presents the advantages of dual citizenship. We examine the Montenegro citizenship by investment program in detail, and how you can apply.
Transform your life TODAY!
Citizenship by Investment News
Attention Retirees, Business-Owners, and HNWIs!
Te ongoing Covid-pandemic restricts many people to their home countries. Therefore, more and more people are seeking to diversify their opportunities. For example, with alternative citizenship. Creating a “Plan B” for one’s life has never been more urgent!
Citizenship by investment (CBI) programs/investor visas have a variety of advantages. These include lifestyle choices, business opportunities, and global travel.
All in all, CBI programs help to create a safer and more stable future for the investor. This also applies to his/her family members and his/her business. One country may intensify restrictions, increase taxes, or have other challenges. Then, you can simply move to the country of your second citizenship.
So, which are the best countries for a second passport?
How Does This Sound about Montenegro CBI?
- Visa-free access to 124 countries, including Russia and the UAE
- Ability to stay in European/EU-countries of the Schengen area. Stay up to 90 days without a visa (until 2022 with ETIAS waiver) in any 6 months (no residency/work allowed).
- Live and work in the United States, as Montenegro has signed an E-2 Investor Treaty with the USA
- Great location within Europe by the Adriatic Sea
- Montenegro investment opportunities are attractive, especially real estate
- Political stability and a small, but growing economy at 3%-6% GDP p.a.
- High safety with low risk of mugging, pickpocketing, scamming, and terrorism
- Enjoy sunny and warm coastal areas as well as cool and adventurous mountain areas
- Active management of wealth and taxes
- A low tax rate and a simple tax system. 9% personal income tax for most income ranges. Besides, non-residents are only required to pay a 5% interest income tax.
- Retirees and pensioners pay only 9% capital gains tax
Impressive, right? Then, we would like to welcome you to Montenegro, one of the best countries for dual citizenship!
Why Invest in Montenegro?
Nestled by the Adrian Sea, between Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, and Albania, Montenegro is a trending destination.
Tourists and citizens of Montenegro love the country’s untouched nature with blue rivers and lakes, impressive mountains, and UNESCO-protected sites.
Did you know that the word Montenegro literally means “black mountain”? In 2019 alone, more than 2.5 million holidaymakers visited Montenegro, spending more than 1.1 billion Euros. Half of them came from Russia and Serbia.
Likewise, Montenegro is a great place to live. The capital city Podgorica as well as the ocean-side cities Bar, Budvar, and Kotor are popular among immigrant investors.
Investment immigrants value Montenegro’s great location as well as its favorable tax and business environment. Besides, they appreciate the affordable cost of living and the many exciting things to do.
Besides, the country has also been a hot spot for retirees from around the world for many years. This is in particular due to the low capital gains tax (9%) and the generally favorable tax system.
Montenegro CBI – Start Your Life in Europe
Montenegrin citizenship by investment program is brand new. Since January 2019, investors and their families can get dual citizenship with many benefits with this scheme. For now, it ends on 31 December 2021 and is valid for 2,000 applications. So, hurry up!
- The processing time can take as little as 3 months
- Montenegro does not require applicants to give up other citizenships
- The citizenship is valid for life and passes down to future generations
- No physical residence necessary for the application and after the passport is issued. If you like, you only have to travel to Montenegro once to submit your biometric data and collect your passport.
- Citizenship from ~410,000 USD (350,000€) through real estate investment
- Amazing investment opportunities
- Montenegro’s real estate is among the cheapest in Europe. Take advantage of this as prices are likely to rise once Montenegro joins the EU.
- Very affordable cost of living and pay with Euros.
In order to apply for a Montenegrin passport, you have to
- be at least 18 years old
- have a clean criminal record
- have the necessary investment funds
What is not required when applying for Montenegrin citizenship
- language tests
- serving in the military as a citizen
So, how and where to start?
How to Apply for Citizenship in Montenegro
The process is straightforward. We have broken down the individual steps for you here:
Montenegro Real Estate Investment & Co
Choose the Montenegro investment opportunities that best suit your situation:
- Real estate investment of at least ~293,000 USD (250,000€) in an underdeveloped region (mostly in the North). Plus ~117,000 USD (100,000€) non-refundable contribution to a government fund for the advancement of underdeveloped areas of Montenegro. Total ~410,000 USD (350,000€).
- Real estate investment of at least ~528,000 (450,000€) in a developed region (mostly in the South/Coastal area). The non-refundable government contribution to the advancement of an underdeveloped region in Montenegro also applies here. Total ~645,000 USD (550,000€).
Other investment routes include setting up a company, investing in hotels/resorts, or donating to development funds, but are less popular.
If you choose the real estate route…
- Choose one or several real estates in Montenegro, and buy them. An immigration consulting company like Immigration Explorer can connect you to the best real estate developers in Montenegro.
- Fill out the application forms, which apply to your situation. Your immigration investment agency will provide them for you. Attach the necessary documents.
- Pay the necessary government contribution and application fees (€15,000 for singles, €25,000 for couples, €45,000 for a family of four).
- Submit your application
- The Montenegrin government usually only takes 3 months to review your application. However, the process can take up to 6 months.
- Once they give the “green light”, apply for a Montenegrin tourist visa (if needed). Then, travel to the country to finalize your investment (purchase and legal documents). Once there, submit your biometric data, and collect your passport. You may want to hire a local lawyer who knows these procedures, in order to do your due diligence.
- Enjoy the benefits of citizenship of Montenegro, the “pearl of the Balkans”!
Keep in mind that the real estate investment is only possible for government-approved projects, in order to ensure maximum transparency. Also, you can sell your real estate investment after 5 years, if you wish to do so.
Montenegro Residency By Investment
At present, Montenegro offers no fast track program for permanent residence only. However, residency is part of the Montenegro CBI program.
What are the Downsides?
No entrepreneur immigration program in the world comes without any downside. Here are Montenegro’s main pain points and how to navigate around them:
- English knowledge is not common. So, it’s smart to learn the basics of Montenegrin if you stay in Montenegro for longer or conduct business there.
- There isn’t a large selection of high-quality lower and higher education in the country. Fortunately, the Montenegrin passport provides you with full access to the EU (expected from 2025). Until then, you can travel to the EU visa-free travel for 90 days. Alternatively, in the era of digitalization, look at international online education programs, especially for higher degrees.
- Access to excellent medical institutions, in particular for specialized treatments, is limited. With the abovementioned visa-free travel to the EU, you can select the best healthcare providers for your required treatment. Remember, if you just seek the benefits of the Montenegrin passport, you don’t have to stay in the country.
- Like most post-Soviet countries, Montenegro suffers from some degree of corruption. Remain patient and calculate, for example, with longer waiting times if you refuse to pay “tea money”.
This brings us to the end of the overview of the best citizenship investment program in Europe.
The Takeaway: Apply for Your Montenegro CBI Today!
Montenegro is a small and upcoming destination for HNWIs, investors, and retirees seeking the potentials of a second passport. In fact, Montenegrin citizenship is among the world’s top programs for investment migration.
Have we sparked your curiosity? Contact the experts at Immigration Explorer for your FREE Immigration Consultation and discover more golden visa options! Become a dual citizen in one of the best countries for citizenship by investment, Montenegro!